Gun Dog Video Coaching
While there are many fantastic do it yourself gun dog training resources out there, most of them are very generalized and are of little help when things start going sideways and your dog just doesn't seem to want to follow the program! Video coaching sessions are for anyone that wants quality dog training advice specific to gun dogs whether you are a casual hunter or a serious field trial competitor.
Video chat allows me to see what you are doing with your dog in real time and help you work out any problems as they are happening to give you better training results. Training sessions can occur in your home, in the back yard or even in the field while working your dog on birds. Anywhere you have a reliable internet connection, you can have a video training session with Elite. If you do not have anywhere to train with a reliable internet connection, you can send a pre recorded video. It's recommended that you get another person to video the training session for you so you can focus on your dog instead of worrying about the camera, but if that's not possible, plan how you will manage your camera ahead of time so you can get the most out of your training session. If you cannot provide a live video stream or a pre recorded video of you training your dog, I am still happy to help you as best I can. I can help with all breeds of upland dogs (both pointers and flushers) and waterfowl dogs, including mixed breeds.
Video/Phone training sessions are $33 for a half hour session and can be booked here. Shortly after sending your booking request, you will receive an email from me and we will finish booking your appointment. Once your appointment is booked you will be emailed an invoice which can be paid via visa, Mastercard, Discover, Apple Pay, or e-transfer.
Some common problems we can help with include but are not limited too:
- Retrieve problems such as hard mouthing, "keep away", grip/holding problems, dropping birds/bumpers early.
- Pointing dogs that creep, steadiness problems, "whoa" problems, and recall/control problems.
- Flushing dogs with range issues and other control problems
- Blind problems such as whining/barking and breaking.
- Reward dependency
- Blinking birds
- Gun-shy dogs
We can also help if you want to start training a new behaviour and aren't totally sure of what you're doing and want a bit of coaching. It's always better to prevent problems with your gun dog than it is to try to fix them later. Common topics we can help you with include but are not limited to:
- Basic obedience (Heel, Sit, Stay, Down, Recall, Whoa)
- E-collar conditioning and selection
- Whistle sits
- Ba-- Introducing gunfire
- Using the whoa post
- Steading pointing dogs to wing, shot, and fall
- Honouring drills
- Steading retrievers in the blind
- Sit to flush
- Retrieve training using either force fetch or unforced force fetch methods
- Puppy retrieving exercises
- Separating play retrieve from the formal retrieve
- Lining and casting drills such as the double T, wagon wheel, push pull, and ladder drills
- Memory drills
- Blind retrieves
- Early puppy development exercises
- Introducing dogs to birds and proper bird handling
- Introducing your dog to water
- Quartering drills
- Crate training
- Competition prep and finishing work
- Reducing reward frequency
- Using verbal markers or clicker training with your gun dog
- Playing with your gun dog in a way that is both fun and productive for training
- Establishing pack structure with your gun dog
- Food vs toy vs praise rewards and when to use them
- Early socialization for gun dogs
- Getting your dog to behave for grooming, nail trimming, and veterinary procedures
- Puppy and trained dog selection
Elite Sport Dogs' video coaching sessions can help you with almost anything and everything related to bird dog training. I provide creative one of a kind solutions specifically for you and your dog, and I understand that dog training equipment is expensive, so always I do my best to help you work with the equipment you already have on hand. For more information contact me, check out my youtube channel, or click here to book an online coaching session now!